Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Philly Cheese-Chicken Hoagies

As you may have guessed, I get a little excited over a good dinner.  Especially with slow cooker easiness.  I try to eat my carbs early-ish in the day - yes, I'm one of those folks - so I was really looking forward to eating a hoagie for dinner.  I get soooooo crazy, I know.

I stumbled upon this recipe for a slow cooker Philly chicken sandwich on Food Family & Finds and I thought it was perfect for our Tuesday dinner.  With the mandolin, I flew through 3 green bell peppers and a large yellow onion Monday night.  And I bought the thinly sliced chicken breast so I didn't even have to cut up the chicken.

Tuesday morning, I sprayed a light layer of Pam inside the cooker and sprinkled it with a diced half tablespoon of butter.  Placed the onion on the bottom and layered the bell pepper slices on top of that.  I tossed the chicken with some kosher salt and Montreal steak seasoning and then put them on top of the peppers.  Finished it all off with a sprinkling of the other diced half tablespoon of butter.  And turned it on low...

And DONE.
I belatedly read the recipe comments on the site and I realized that the original recipe called for a liquid steak seasoning.  Which I totally had in the fridge.  *Head slap*

Well, watcha gonna do?  I wasn't home so what was done was done.  But I figured the bell peppers and onions would put out enough liquid that it would be ok.  Hopefully.  Fingers crossed.  Guess I'll find out when I get home...

Hey!  That looks right!
The Hubs got home before me and kindly turned it down to warm after cooking on low for 5 hours.  I sorta thick-shredded the chicken when I swung home to change for my Pilates class.  The smell was great!  I couldn't wait to try a bite.

So I had a pre-class snack.

It's a good thing you pretty much get to lay on the floor for Pilates.

I toasted a wheat hoagie, slopped on some of that yummy chicken/peppers/onions mix, and then melted a slice of provolone on top.

Mmmm, melty.

It was reeeeally good.  And how easy was that?!  Shoot.  Let's have this all the time.

Side note, I later gave Hubs a detailed description of how I felt he should put the sandwich together.  (What?  If someone doesn't remind you to hollow it out a bit, you might not have as much room for chicken/peppers/onions!)  What was I thinking?  He ain't new.  After he stopped teasing me about my sandwich instructoring, he made 2 of his own just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment