Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Tortellini Pasta Salad

I hope everyone had a great July 4th and lovely weekend!  It is officially HOT.

The July 4th party we went to was a great time.  Tons of food, great company, and it - shockingly - wasn't too hot that day because of the rain earlier in the week.

There were supposed to be a ton of people in that brat contest I mentioned before...  And they all dropped out except for me & my girl friend, Alisha.  What?!  Anyhoo, we decided to cook the brats but not really compete.  Just two people doing it felt awkward.

Her brat was all sorts of good stuff.  Pimento cheese, bacon, caramelized onions, and a fried egg on top.  YumYUM.  For mine, I used our Wingy Dingy sauce, caramelized onions (great minds!), and roasted jalapeno.  I thought it turned out really tasty.  (I definitely have an affinity for our wing sauce.  I also put it on pulled pork and ribs later.  So good!)  In the end, we both went home winners.  Complete with trophies. 

Over the weekend, the fun continued at our friends' baby's birthday party.  Their kid turned 1 earlier in the week and they had a cookout to celebrate.  There was all sorts of yummy food.  The baby basically bathed in a cupcake.  And I brought a pasta salad.

I love a good pasta salad.  But they get a little complicated when you know they're going to sit out for a while.  (I'm looking at you, mayonnaise.)  I decided to get some of those tortellini stuffed with cheese.  (You know, in the section with the ravioli & pizza crust.)  I couldn't find a recipe I loved so I just sorta winged it.

I made it to taste so I'm missing some measurements.  But I thought it was nice and fresh so I'm going to go ahead and write it down for the future.

~ I thought there were going to be vegetarians attending so I skipped the bacon.  But if I make it again, I think I'll throw some in.

Festive!
Tortellini Pasta Salad

INGREDIENTS
  • 3 packages Buitoni cheese stuffed tortellini
  • 1 large jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
  • 2 small jars artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 3 lemons, juiced
  • Red wine vinegar to taste
  • Salt & pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
  1. Prepare tortellini according to package.
  2. Mix up and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment