Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Broiled Sweet Chili Salmon & Juicing

How do you usually cook your fish?  I usually cook mine in my cast iron - which I do believe is technically incorrect - with some seasoning and lemons that caramelize while the fish cooks.  Lately, I've been getting sorta bored with that.  Obvious answer?  Let's broil that sucker.

I pinned this recipe from Once Upon a Chef a while back.  It was perfect since I had all the ingredients.  And it turned out fab-u-lous.  Broiling is fast, easy, and I do believe it's going to be my new go-to for a minute.  Cooked perfectly and still had that nice crispy skin.

With greens and cheesy cauliflower.
If you were polite you would have dropped something.
I better enjoy real food while I can.

I'm thinking about doing a bit of a juice fast.

I watched the documentary, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, a month or two ago and I keep thinking about it...

~ Fat Sick and Nearly Dead Synopsis ~
100 pounds overweight, loaded up on steroids and suffering from a debilitating autoimmune disease, Joe Cross is at the end of his rope and the end of his hope. FAT, SICK & NEARLY DEAD is an inspiring film that chronicles Joe's personal mission to regain his health. With doctors and conventional medicines unable to help long-term, Joe turns to the only option left, the body's ability to heal itself. He trades in the junk food and hits the road with juicer and generator in tow, vowing only to drink fresh fruit and vegetable juice for the next 60 days.

Yes.  Juice.

Ok, so I did some reading and research online and it really seems to benefit people. 

But how do you not eat food?
I like chewing.
What if I become a food weirdo? 
Will this turn me against my precious bacon-wrapped filets?
What do you do when your friends want to eat out?

I'm a big believer in moderation.  Don't eat too much red meat.  Maybe no meat at all sometimes.  Avoid processed foods.  Try to cut out those diet cokes.  Vegetables are your friends.  Yada-yada-yada. So I'm pretty healthy in my habits already, right?  (Please ignore my Mexican food addiction in this scenario.)

BUT people just seem to swear by this juicing stuff.  Is it a fad?  Eh.  Probably.  But what the heck?  It's not going to hurt me and maybe my hair will thicken up.

So I think I'm going to try a run at it.  I've read up on doing straight juice for 3 days.  Or possibly a week with juice for breakfast/lunch and a healthy meal of food you chew for supper.  I've purchased a moderately priced but well reviewed juicer that should be coming in today:


I dub the "Big Juicy-Juice"!
So we'll see how it goes, ay?  I must say, if it doesn't taste good, I don't know that this is going to stick...  Wait, NO, let me not fail before I start!  I'll do some small batches to see what I like and go from there.  Most things I've read recommend that you wean yourself into it.  Cut out meat, dairy, caffeine.  You know, anything that makes life worth living.  Or as my dad would say, if it tastes good, spit it out.

So more on that to come, my friends!  Super health could be mine!  And if nothing else, it's a project.  And I do so love a project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment