Friday, March 21, 2014

Menu Planning Fail - Week #4

Last weekend I visited my mom & dad.  Where does the time go?  I looked up one day & realized I hadn’t seen them since before Christmas.  No bueno.  So I made a call to see if they could find some time for me in their busy schedule.  And – phew! – they could fit me in.  It have been a tad awkward if they couldn’t...

I got to leave work a little early & was on the road before rush hour.  Which meant I arrived in time for dinner.  Aka the seafood buffet! 

There’s a nice home cookin’ buffet restaurant back home.  They have TEE-riffic greens.  (And I know me some greens.)  Well, on Friday, they also have seafood in addition to their usual land-fare.  So shrimp, you say?  Shrimp, INDEED!!  And with that, you’re speaking the Roberts’ family love language.  Lots of peel & eat shrimp, salmon, greens, salad bar and all things fried – catfish, shrimp, oysters, & chicken (which is not seafood but just plain good).  We were off to a great start!

~Sidenote, I saw a kid so stuffed with crab legs that his eyes rolled back in his head.  A) That is a LOT of crabs & B) Hope the car ride home wasn’t bumpy.

Over the weekend we visited, ate another fave (Mexican), little shopping, some movie watching (the Maltese Falcon is GOOD), had hilarious* conversations (*according to who you ask) and then it was over all too soon.  And back to Memphis I went.  Fuller, better dressed, filled with hugs, and a little sad at how fast the time went.  But all around, a wonderful trip!

So while I was gone, I got on my laptop & did my usual nerdy menu planning.  But at home, I failed to execute.  I got some groceries.  But after being out of town, I realized I had bitten off more than I could chew.  (I spit it out you might say.)  So I unpacked.  Did a little of this and a little of that to get ready for the upcoming week.  Hugged the dogs.  And hoped I could find some time to cook on Monday.

I didn’t.  We ordered pizza.

So week #4 of menu planning was a fail.  Dinners have been off the cuff and lunches sad.  (It had been a really long time since I’d had a microwave meal.  Yeah.  They’re still blech.)  So I learned my lesson – if you don’t cook the food, you can’t eat the food.  Oh, well.  As Scarlett would say, tomorrow is...  Another week!

No comments:

Post a Comment