Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Kwik Chek Copycat - the Veggie Delight Pita

Have you had the Veggie Delight at Kwik Chek?  The toasted pita filled with all sorts of deliciousness?

I had Kwik Chek for the first time several weeks ago.  This year is the 15 year anniversary of me moving to Memphis and the majority of that time I've lived in Midtown.  But I had never stopped by until we had family visiting.  Thank goodness my sister-in-law was craving it or who knows if another 15 years would have gone by?!  It was so close and so much time has been wasted already.  *Sniff*

After the weekend, I had Veggie Delight on the brain and got to thinking I probably had quite a few of the ingredients on hand. I looked up a menu online so I could at least get a loose list of the rest...
 

I figured cucumber sauce was similar to a Tzatziki sauce.  Maybe?  They apparently stopped carrying sprouts at my Kroger so I subbed some cabbage salad (coleslaw) mix for a little crunch.  Forgot to add the mushrooms.  (Oh, well.)  Added some black beans & avocado.  And served on a toasted whole wheat pita with Swiss spread.

Eat it or be eaten
The verdict?  It was good!  Like surprisingly close, I thought.  I think the hummus and toasted pita are key.  I made the mix the night before and then toasted and stuffed the pita the next morning.

This "recipe" might not be exact measurements since I adjusted to my tastes.  But I'd like to make it again so I'm going to write it down as close as I can...

Veggie Delight Pita

INGREDIENTS
  • 1/4 Cup Hummus, plus a couple more spoonfuls
  • 1/4 Cup 2% Greek Yogurt
  • 1/2 smashed avocado
  • 2 handfuls cabbage salad (or some sprouts)
  • Shredded lettuce 
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1/4 large white onion, diced
  • 1 Roma tomato, chopped
  • 1/4 fresh jalapeno, very fine dice
  • 1 can black beans, drained
  • 1/2 lemon, juice
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • Light Swiss cheese wedge, like Laughing Cow
  • 1 whole wheat pita pocket

DIRECTIONS
  1. Smoosh together the hummus, Greek yogurt, and avocado.  Gently mix in the cabbage, lettuce, bell pepper, onion, tomato, jalapeno, and black beans.  Add lemon juice and salt & pepper to taste.
  2. When ready to eat, toast the pita and then spread the cheese on the inside.  Stuff pita with mix made in step #1.  Should be enough for 2 pockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment