Thursday, January 17, 2013

Slow Cooker Chicken with Potatoes & Carrots

January and we're finally getting some Winter weather here in Memphis!  It 's been cold and sleety and just makes you wanna have a comfy meal.  In a slow cooker.  With potatoes.

Cookinglight.com has a nice selection of slow cooker recipes.  I found one that looked good and decided to give it a whirl.

I love recipes with not a lot of fuss or muss.  Just cutting an onion, chopping thyme, and browning the meat.  I went with the skinless, boneless chicken thighs.  I know the merits of cooking on the bone but Hubs and I both prefer them.  The thighs definitely cooked faster without the bone.  But they were still moist so no biggie.

Browned chicken on top of carrots, taters, and onions
At first, I thought it didn't have enough kick.  Then I realized, I tend to make everything spicy.  This was a simple tasty one pot meal. Nice flavor- I'm loving thyme lately.  I added extra broth so it would be good over some brown rice too with that extra liquid.


Great lunch leftovers!  I'll definitely visit this one again.  Healthy, easy, and tasty.  Hard to beat.

(I tweaked some minor things and it took longer to slow cook than the recipe called for.  Tweaks noted below.)

Slow Cooker Chicken with Potatoes & Carrots

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 vertically sliced yellow onion
  • 1 bag baby carrots
  • 1 bag gold potatoes, cut into fourths
  • 1/2 box lower-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 5-7 fresh thyme sprigs
  • 4 cloves minced garlic
  • Kosher salt
  • Ground black pepper
  • Smoked paprika
  • 6 (6-ounce) boneless chicken thighs, skinned
  • Extra virgin olive oil
DIRECTIONS
  1. Place onion in slow cooker coated with cooking spray; top with carrots and potatoes.
  2. Combine broth, wine, thyme, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Pour over vegetables.
  3. Spritz chicken with evoo.  Rub chicken with generous paprika and salt. Heat oil in a cast iron over medium-high heat. Add chicken. Cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Arrange chicken on top of vegetables.
  4. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until chicken is done and vegetables are tender. Garnish with additional thyme, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment