Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Ladies that lunch – Rizzos Diner

My work ladies-that-lunch & I went to Rizzos Diner down in the South Main Arts District recently.  And it.  Was.  FAB.  

Chef Michael Patrick (formerly of McEwen's) has opened a restaurant with a cool decor and even cooler food.  The menu was pretty unique.  Which made it really hard to choose and, making it harder, the specials all sounded like a treat.  (Sidenote, are scallops & grits a new thing?  I just saw that combo at Automatic Slim's.  I do believe I will need to test that out.)

I went back and forth but stuck with the chorizo meatloaf that I'd read rave reviews about online.  It's served with creamy green tomato gravy and choice of 3 sides.  I went with the asparagus, greens, & cheddar grits.  

When it came out, my eyes were delighted...


When I ate it, my mouth was even more delighted.  It was delicious.  The chorizo gave the meatloaf a nice little kick and gravy was perfect with it.  The grits and asparagus were great.  But the greens, THE GREENS, were amazing.  

In my opinion, greens need to be slow cooked over a long period of time.  (Preferably with bacon fat if you're going all out.)  Many places don't cook it long enough and you don't get that deep flavor.  I could have eaten a BARREL of Rizzos greens.  They were that good.

My friend had almost the same thing but with the squash casserole.  She gave me a bite and it was nice and light.  Very tasty.  My other friend had the soup & salad  that she gave rave reviews as well.

All in all, a great time.  I'll definitely be going back.  On the dinner menu – lobster pronto pups!  (See a picture here.)  That's worth a return trip if anything ever was.


No comments:

Post a Comment